Here are five things to try:
You can burn between 900 to 1,400 calories an hour, increase your heart rate and blood circulation, and build hip, thigh and leg muscles.
- Skate on an incline to burn more calories. Or find a skatium in your area with a banked track or a park with a hilly path.
- Try wearing wrist weights to work out your arms and shoulders.
- The smooth gliding motion reduces the impact on your joints. Remember to wear protective gear!
You can work all parts of your body with different, creative moves. Just be sure to stay safe!
- Jumping jog: Begin to jog as your feet come off the trampoline, raising your knees as high as possible each time you take a step in the air.
- Bounce and kick: Jump as high as you feel comfortable and kick as you reach the peak of your jump.
- Twist: Jump in the air and twist your waist from left to right, focusing on your core muscles. Jumping from side to side will really get your muscles working.
3. Shopping (Yes, shopping!)
- Park as far from the store as you can.
- If you’re at the mall, walk the whole mall once before stopping at your favorite store.
- Use the stairs to go to another floor. If there aren’t stairs, try walking up the escalator.
- The more upbeat and physical the dance, the more calories you’ll burn.
- Salsa and hip-hop may leave you out of breath, while ballroom dancing isn’t as aerobically challenging.
- Try an instructional DVD or get out of the house and take classes. There are free videos online or you can simply turn on your music at home to get your body moving.
5. Yard work
Gardening makes you use multiple muscles.
- Cut your own grass.Water the yard and garden.
- Rake and bag leaves.
- Chop wood or shovel snow.