The season of fall is the season of sports. Whether you’re tailgating or staying parked on the couch, food goes with football. Here are some healthy alternatives that are sure to be a touchdown.
- Choose lean or extra-lean beef. Add shredded veggies like zucchini and squash to ground beef for healthier burgers. No one will even know it’s there! You can also swap the beef for turkey or salmon and sub the bun for a lettuce wrap.
- Offer chicken, seafood or beef kabobs with vegetables.
- Dip veggies, not chips. Serve salsa and bean-based dips instead of high-calorie dip.
- Dips like fresh salsa, guacamole and hummus are great choices. You can create several varieties of salsa — from hot to medium to green and much more. Hummus can also be flavored with cilantro, Mediterranean herbs and more.
- Go vegetarian with portabella mushroom fajitas or burgers, or eggplant parmesan with low-fat cheese.
- Make a fun fruit salad by creating football shapes with cookie cutters or slice, dice and spear some of your favorite fruits for kebabs.
- Substitute frozen yogurt for ice cream with toppings like fruit and granola.