The EmPOWERED To Serve (ETS) Health Lessons offer a way to engage communities and motivate community members to take steps towards creating a culture of health. There are 12 lessons falling into three essential areas for health action:
- The “healthy living” health lessons call on participants to embrace Life’s Simple 7®—for example, get active, eat better, manage blood pressure, lose weight, reduce blood sugar, and stop smoking.
- The “chain of survival” health lessons help community members to become more aware about heart disease and stroke—and the critical importance to call 9-1-1 for help, when needed.
- The “community advocacy” health lessons challenge participants to become advocates for access to fresh fruits and vegetables, health care services, safe communities, and clean air.
The Ambassador Guide helps organizers build 60- to 90-minute interactive health education programs. Lessons can be completed in 12 consecutive weeks or spread out over a longer time frame, such as 12 months.
Click the links below for more information about each lesson and to download program materials.
Healthy Living Health Lessons
- Don’t Go Breakin’ Your Heart
- Let’s Get Physical
- Make Life Sweet–Not Your Drinks
- Own It
- Produce-ing Health
Chain of Survival Health Lessons
Community Voice Health Lessons