The American Heart Association has a national focus on “building a culture of health in faith communities by making the healthy choice the easy choice.” Through our EmPOWERED To Cook series we are working with congregations to improve their health and diets, as well as educate and inspire healthy behavior not only for them but for the community at large which they serve.
One of the most critical components to improving cardiovascular health is an improved diet. Knowing that our faith communities are often a source of meals not only for the congregation and its members, but also food served as part of their feeding programs for in-need populations, sick and shut in church members, church meetings and events. We worked with faith leaders to bring this 4 part cooking series to you!
Class One: Healthy Meals
Healthy Meals for events, receptions and large groups. In this lesson you will learn about cooking bulk recipes. Featured: Baked Chicken and Rice and Turkey Meatballs and wheat pasta
Class Two: Healthy Beverages
Healthy Beverages: In this lesson you will learn about the importance sipping smarter and that your drink doesn’t have to be bland with this refreshing Cantaloupe Citrus Water
Class Three: Healthy Desserts
Healthy Desserts: In this lesson you will learn that you can indulge in sweet treats that are light on saturated fat, cholesterol and calories. This class features Blueberry Peach Cobbler.
Class Four: Meals for Feeding Ministries
Meals for Feeding Ministries: This lesson features Dried Bean and Lentil Soup a great recipe for large amount of people that is healthy and affordable.
Resources and Tools
EmPOWERED To Serve Lesson Plans
- Don’t Go Breakin’ Your Heart
- Got Fruit? How About Vegetables?
- Make Life Sweet—Not Your Drinks
- Produc-ing Health
Infographics and Guides
- Food and Beverage Toolkit
- Get Fresh with Fruits and Vegetables
- Healthy Environments Food and Beverage Guide
- McCormick® 5 Feel-Good Ingredients to Have on Hand
- McCormick® 30 Ways in 30 DaysSeasons of Eating
- Sip Smarter
- Basic Berry Smoothie
- Blueberry Peach Cobbler
- Cantaloupe Citrus Water with Turmeric & Ginger
- Dried 6 Bean and Tomato Soup
- Turkey Meatballs & Whole Grain Penne
- Zesty Lemon Herb Chicken with Brown Rice Pilaf & Summer Vegetables
For More Information contact your local AHA Office.
Thank you to our sponsors: