Adolescence can be a sensitive time for girls when they start experiencing hormonal, physical and emotional changes. These changes can make an impact on their self-esteem and occasionally even lead to serious problems like eating disorders or other issues.
Here are a few ways parents can help create a healthy environment at home.
- Start encouraging positive self-esteem before age 9.
- Surround your adolescent daughters with positive images of healthy women and girls.
- Talk to them about their dreams and achievements and encourage them to participate in activities that move them toward their desires.
- Encourage special father-daughter activities. A girl’s relationship with her dad is one of the most important relationships she’ll ever have.
- Encourage physical activity at home. Everyone should participate!
- Encourage healthy eating habits and give everyone an active role. Your daughter can help create menus, participate in grocery shopping and help cook.
Adolescent self-esteem can have a life-long impact on a woman’s life. Start the positive encouragement early and watch her bloom!