What is the Business Accelerator?
The Business Accelerator is designed to lift social entrepreneurs and businesses seeking to improve the health of Puerto Rican communities. It supports innovation and community-centered solutions that get to the heart of the barriers to good health. Our ultimate goals are to change behaviors, expand access to resources and improve the long-term health of Puerto Rican communities.
Selected candidates will:
- receive MBA-style business training.
- present their businesses on June 16 at the University of Sacred Heart, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- have a chance at receiving up to $15,000 in grant funding.
1st place finalist will receive a $10,000 grant and automatically move on to present at the National EmPOWERED to Serve Business Accelerator finale in Washington D.C. on October 8, 2020. The 2nd place finalist will receive a $5,000 grant.
Who is eligible?
- Puerto Ricans living on or off the island (born on the island or their descendants up to the third generation)
- Puerto Rican residents
- Businesses and solutions that directly impact and improve health outcomes in Puerto Rico
- Must be 18 years and older
- March 2- April 17 Application period open
- May 4 Announcement of top candidates
- May 11- June 12 Training
- June 16 Business storytelling finale at University of Sacred Heart
Want to know more?
We can’t change the health of communities without community leaders like you. Find out more about how this grant and training opportunity can help your business and entrepreneurial journey.
Why Puerto Rico?
Resilience is a word is often used to describe the character of the Puerto Rican people, especially after hurricanes Irma and María, and more recently, the earthquakes in the southwest of the island.
Despite the devastating economic outlook, debt of more than $72 billion and countless professionals who have had to leave the island, we are determined to promote the visionary ideas of those who seek to overcome these challenges by developing businesses that help advance the economic progress of Puerto Rico.
We believe in the resourcefulness and determination of Puerto Ricans. This Business Accelerator will touch the lives of entrepreneurs, putting them on a path to success that will help their people have longer, healthier lives, overcome the social determinants of health and be increasingly resilient!
Thank you to our in-kind sponsors