Requirements and How to Apply
The application cycle is currently closed.
Eligibility: All currently enrolled college freshmen, sophomores, and juniors with aspirations of using their degree to improve health outcomes and reduce the gap in health disparities among under-resourced and racially and ethnically diverse communities.
Previous applicants’ efforts to improve health equity have included advocating for access to healthy food, volunteering at a health clinic, working in a student health program and fundraising for a cause that promotes health equity. Must have a passing GPA of 2.0 or higher and be in good standing with the college or university.
- Headshot photo
- Current college transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- Letter of recommendation (from a teacher, guidance counselor, mentor, community leader, etc.)
- Short answers to questions regarding health equity, health advocacy, and social determinants of health
More detail is provided in the application portal.
Application Portal Instructions:
- At the AHA Community Funding Portal login screen, click “register as a user” to create a user account.
- Fill in registration information (bolded fields are required). Click “Submit Request” at bottom of screen.
- Check your email and click on the verification link to create your password and login to the portal.
- Once you’re logged in to the portal, click on “EmPowered Scholars” in left column.
- Click on “Click Here to Apply for Funding” at bottom of screen.
- Answer all questions and click “Save” at bottom of screen.
- Click on the plus sign at bottom of screen to upload video and document files.
- Once files are uploaded, click “Save” at bottom of screen.
- Review all information and click “Submit Application” at bottom of screen.
- You may save your pending application and return to it later if you’re not able to complete it all at one time.
Please email any questions to [email protected]