Power Up to Move More
Do you have trouble staying energized for your post-workday workout? We feel you! Try these tips to keep your energy going strong so you can Move More.
- Hydrate: Drink water throughout the day and especially before, during and after physical activity.
- Fuel Up: When your energy is starting to lag, snack on healthy carbs, like vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Fight Fatigue: Alternate sitting and standing during the day. Wear comfy shoes you can easily walk in, or use insoles to keep your legs and feet feeling fine.
- Refresh: Try stress-relieving activity breaks, like lunchtime walks, meditation and yoga to rejuvenate and refresh anytime.
- Breathe: Practice breathing deeply by inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth slowly to deliberately send more oxygen to your brain and body.
- Eat for Energy: Avoid eating saturated fats or too much protein throughout the day. They digest more slowly and can take away oxygen and energy-delivering blood from your muscles.
- Don't Wait: Make it a habit to go right from work or school to your workout or activity. If you stop at home, you may be tempted to skip it.
- Refuel: Refuel after your sweat sesh with lean protein, healthy carbs and plenty of water so your body can recover more quickly.
Find more ways to be Healthy for Good at heart.org/HealthyForGood
©American Heart Association 2018
Last reviewed 1/2018
Join Healthy for Good™ and get our Taste of the Holidays digital recipe booklet.