When the boundaries between work life and home life are blurring, it’s more important than ever to take time off.
If you’re working from home during the pandemic, you can do wonders for your mental health by spending a day outdoors with your dog and family.
Try these tips to plan your fresh-air day-cation:
- Take a day off during the week, when it’s likely there will be less traffic, and block your calendars.
- Choose a place that’s not too far, so you have plenty of time for walking, hiking, enjoying a picnic and taking selfies along the way. Check whether pets are allowed at the lake, beach or other destination you want to visit. Look online for pet-friendly destinations and hotels.
You might also find websites about pet-friendly destinations in your area. Bring large old blankets or tablecloths for sitting on the ground and setting out your picnic spread. Consider packing an easy-to-read book of poems or stories your children like to hear — or maybe a book about dogs.
- Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated and the water bowl for your four-legged family member. Don’t forget to pack a “doggie waste bag” to clean up after your furry friend, and hand sanitizers for the humans.
- Get some exercise for both a healthy body and mind. You and the family can do stretches and jumping jacks before you begin your picnic and a hike or long walk afterward.
- Relax and have a great time!