Shop Smart & Save Infographic
See a Spanish version.
Shop Smart & Save
Smart shopping on a budget means knowing what to buy and when.
- Sign up for a reward card. Sign up for a reward card (loyalty program) with your grocery store(s). Scan the card as you check out to receive deals automatically.
- Use coupons and coupon apps. Collect coupons. With a reward card, you will get email coupons and can download online coupons. Use coupon apps.
- Know what you have. Inventory your pantry and refrigerator each week.
- Plan meals each week. Keep recipes, grocery lists, receipts and coupons in one place to make planning easier.
- Make a shopping list. Be specific with descriptions. Note the quantity needed and which coupons you have.
- Save receipts. For each week, compare what you spent to what you budgeted. Adjust your meal planning and budgeting if necessary.
At the Grocery Store
- Compare prices. Store-brand products may be more affordable.
- Use coupons, but compare prices and nutrition facts. A coupon may not always be the best deal or the healthiest option.|
- Buy in bulk. You may save money. Just be sure you have room to store what you’ve bought in your pantry or freezer.
- Save with seasonal produce. Buying produce that’s in season can save you money. Can or freeze it for year-round use.
- Don’t check out at the checkout. Pay attention at the register to make sure you get all your discounts and savings.
For more smart shopping tips, visit heart.org/healthyforgood.
© Copyright 2019 American Heart Association, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit. All rights reserved. Healthy for Good is a trademark of the AHA. Unauthorized use prohibited.