EmPOWERED and Well Healthier Church Challenge
The American Heart Association and WW (Weight Watchers Reimagined) have joined forces to support you and your faith family on your ongoing health journey.
38 Churches Selected for Healthier Church Challenge
Your Health is Grounded in Faith. Our Approach is Grounded in Science.
Black women are three times as likely to suffer from sudden cardiac death compared to white women; half of African Americans live with obesity, increasing their risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease, according to a 2019 Duke University study.
In Person Health Lessons
Here are the tools you need to complete the Healthier Church Challenge. Use these health lessons to guide your congregation through the 12-week program. Access the links below to download the tools and resources.
You will learn:
Week 7 Eating Smart with Fruit and Vegetables
Week 10 Make Life Sweet, Not your drink
Week 11 Get Active
Week 12 Spot a Stroke: FAST
Brian C. Wilson - Empowered to Serve
Brian C. Wilson - Healthier Church Challenge
Brian C. Wilson: Sign up for the Healthier Church Challenge
Help your church expand its culture of health and wellness initiatives.
- The 12-week pilot program kicks off in Feb. 2020.
- Locations: Atlanta, Charlotte, North Carolina, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C.
- Science-based health education and coaching.
- Weekly one-hour health and wellness sessions.
- Wellness sessions that will empower you to help improve your health in harmony with your faith.
- Participating faith organizations will receive stipends to support their health ministries.
- The opportunity to receive additional financial support and special giveaways
- The top two organizations will each receive an additional $5,000 as well as a wellness celebration at their church.
Tamela Mann talks Health Journey as heard on Get Up! Mornings with Erica Campbell
Listen to Tamela Mann on Get Up! Mornings with Erica Campbell where she shared her journey and excitement about the EmPOWERED & Well Healthier Church Challenge that’s kicking off in January.
What is EmPOWERED to Serve ?
EmPOWERED to Serve is a platform inspired by American Heart Association multicultural volunteers around the country who are passionate about driving change through health justice and empowerment in their communities.
These committed ambassadors are impacting gaps in health equity through advocacy, policy, education and social change.